 Robotics / 2621
2620  |  2622
Subject:
cool idea for all-around range sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 20:08:13 GMT

i've read all the messages on all-around bump sensing, and have an idea.

I'm not actually a mindstorms owner, but have the MIT Handyboard and bought
some Radioshack IR emitter/detector LED's which i'm making into sensors.
I'm using the 1x2 legos to house the sensors (pic attached).  I've come up
with an idea on arranging these sensors (5 of them) in a triangular patter
to give 180 degree ranging view.  How this works is all of the sensors are
tied together in such a way that the values of each one are in steps.  Using
different values of resistors on the detectors will give you a range.
Starting at the left side, the first sensor gets the lowest (or none) value
resistor.  Moving up to the next sensor, we increment the resistor's value,
etc.  Now by actually wiring all 5 of the IR detectors together, we can read
the entire array with one input on the RCX or Handyboard.  An input on
sensor 1 will give a higher value than input on sensor 2, with sensor 5
giving off the highest value.  If more than one sensor gets input, you will
still know what "side" the input occurred on by noting that the value was
excessive.  Then, just mount the IR emitters on the top of the detectors
(using another 1x2 lego), you have an IR 180 degree eyeball.

I'm sure there are flaws in this design; but it sounds good in theory.

Regards,
Mark Williamson