 Robotics / 26269
Re: SDK for NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 21:23:03 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "Sattler Chris-QA1406" <Christopher.Sattler@motorola.com>
wrote:

Has a SDK describing the structure of the NXT bytes codes been released,
or has there been any mention from Lego as to when it will be released.
I assume that the MDP have seen something, is it released or still under
NDA?

I believe that folks at National Instruments are working on writing a document
that describes the .rxe file format and the byte codes supported by the official
NXT firmware's virtual machine.  If I understand it correctly, the VM in the NXT
firmware is modelled after the LabView runtime VM.  To the best of my knowledge
the document that is under development has not been released to the MDP or
publically.  The last time I had a look at the work in progress it was still in
need of a lot of work but hopefully it will be released soon.  And hopefully it
will be useful in its final state.

There was a c header file shared with the MDP which listed all the byte code
values as #define constants and it had some comments that were slightly
informative (but sometimes dead wrong).  At one point there was an XML file
included with the official LEGO Mindstorms NXT software which had the same sort
of information in it.  It has since been removed from the installation but I
still have a copy of it.  I wrote a stylesheet to format it as HTML.  You can
get the bytecode_table.xml and bytecode_table.xsl files at
http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/bct.zip.

John Hansen