 Robotics / 26120
Re: Microsoft Robotics Studio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:32:03 GMT

On 26/06/06, Alexander Sack <pisymbol@gmail.com> wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, PeterBalch <PeterBalch@compuserve.com> wrote:
What is MSRS giving me that I want?

Another potentially useful environment and different way to design a robotics
program.  You may not like it, you may love it!  SDK's and IDEs are somewhat
religious topics among developers.

True. However, so is choice. So although I am not exactly known as a
Microsoft lover, more potential systems and robot programming
techniques there are to choose from,the better really. It is one of
the reasons I have been so impressed by TLG's handling of the NXT -
the fact that they have pretty much supported alternatives and choice
from the outset. As long as the MSRS does not become entrenched in the
same way windows has and leave me with very little choice, I will
remain pleased just to see the choices expand. Lets be fair to MS
here, their tool does bring the ability to use all the .net languages,
although in an education (or other) environment, I would probably see
about finding a way to disable VB.net support.

Now I do think that it is still very overhyped at the moment, and have
said as much on my blog:
http://orionrobots.co.uk/tiki-view_blog_post.php?blogId=1&postId=92

It may be well thought-out and implemented but so what? I'll certainly look
closely at the architecture they've chosen so as to to pick up tips. But
I'm very unlikely to use their system.

Huh, you now if I didn't know better, I would say that THEIR architecture is a
simple loosely coupled enterprise service bus (ESB) that isn't concerned with
XML transformations or EAI, i.e. drop the "enterprise" piecee. Its the
next-generation soon to be classical model to build web based applications.  I'm
not sure how "lightweight" something like this can be since there is a lot of
overhead just to process XML (a big performance hit unless perhaps they are
using some kind of binary XML format, I mean the core is really going to parse a
SOAP document and claim "real-time").

Hmm - I do hope not. I have seen webservers on PIC's, but this is not
the place to build WSDL or XML-RPC or similar systems. I suppose it
depends where the market for these systems will go. The gumstix
systems are relatively heavyweight, and the NXT may be perfectly
capable. However - at the moment, it looks specifically that most of
this stuff will be running on a PC, using the MC's native
communication (rs232, ir, bluetooth etc) to command it, and not
actually be stuff running on an MC - which is why I probably wouldnt
really do a lot with it.

I mean the REST stuff on this page is just bizarre to me.  I think the marketing
department when overboard a little.  I'm surprised I didn't see the term "Web
2.0" stuck in there for good measure! Do I get a passport account too when I
sign up for the Robotics Studio developer program?  :D!

I agree with you totally here. REST is cool, but has so little to do
with mobile robotics. However, this MSRS might be just the thing for
home automation. Think about it - have a MC with a heat sensor,
interfaced to the boiler, a couple of fans, and some other stuff.
Then, you could have this attached to the PC running MSRS, and this
with an exposed SOAP interface. Then you could start adding other MC's
doing other automation tasks (lights etc). From a (very) high level
perspective, using REST with these could give you a loosely coupled
and flexible control interface.

Danny
--
Danny Staple MBCS