 Robotics / 26119
Re: Microsoft Robotics Studio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 14:37:25 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, PeterBalch <PeterBalch@compuserve.com> wrote:
What is MSRS giving me that I want?

Another potentially useful environment and different way to design a robotics
program.  You may not like it, you may love it!  SDK's and IDEs are somewhat
religious topics among developers.

It may be well thought-out and implemented but so what? I'll certainly look
closely at the architecture they've chosen so as to to pick up tips. But
I'm very unlikely to use their system.

Huh, you now if I didn't know better, I would say that THEIR architecture is a
simple loosely coupled enterprise service bus (ESB) that isn't concerned with
XML transformations or EAI, i.e. drop the "enterprise" piecee. Its the
next-generation soon to be classical model to build web based applications.  I'm
not sure how "lightweight" something like this can be since there is a lot of
overhead just to process XML (a big performance hit unless perhaps they are
using some kind of binary XML format, I mean the core is really going to parse a
SOAP document and claim "real-time").

I mean the REST stuff on this page is just bizarre to me.  I think the marketing
department when overboard a little.  I'm surprised I didn't see the term "Web
2.0" stuck in there for good measure! Do I get a passport account too when I
sign up for the Robotics Studio developer program?  :D!

-aps