 Robotics / 2611
Re: Tripod Help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 14:36:14 GMT

Ah, so _you_ are the one-legged gorilla man!! =)

I haven't synchronized the front and back legs or motorized it yet.
This too is a problem for me. To be honest, I don't know how a tripod
_would_ walk but can someone tell me if there is a movie (avi, mov,
etc.) or something that demonstrates how a tripod walks?? But for a
four-legged walker, the left and right pairs of legs are probably the
ones that need to by sync'd (similar to the AT-AT in Star Wars).

It is going to have balance problems, as well as power problems supporting its own
weight, but it has been an interesting project.
Currently, my "experimental" design can't support the weight of the RCX
so I had to make it where you used the extension connector leads and
just held the RCX by hand. I think a four-legged walker can support the
RCX and be able to move if the legs are strong enough. Do the legs have
joints?

Turning is a bigger problem, I believe I have to joint the body in the middle...
Did you get yours to turn?
Hehe, no. It can't even walk!! But jointing the body is a good idea. A
Japanese MindStormer by the nickname of "Joe_" on the LEGO MindStorms
Community had a page and movies available for download and he had a
design of a two legged chicken-walker (similar to the AT-ST of Star
Wars) that can turn without a joint in the body. Judging by the pictures
and movie I saw, he had touch sensors positioned near the legs. The legs
can move forward, back, left, and right. Maybe this method of design
would help my tripod actually walk...Go check out Joe_'s page and see
for yourself.

Right now, I'm thinking of a way to have the two front legs of the
tripod to swivel side to side giving it four different ways to move, and
this should hopefully help the tripod even moving two inches!!! Keep on
buildin!

--
Kevin A. Saddi
kevin-saddi@iname.com