 Robotics / 25804
Re: help line follower program-RIS2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:57:54 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Robert C. Peterson wrote:
I have formed a LEGO group here in Colombia using RIS 2 and the standard RIS2
software.

Our challenge is for each team to make a line follower that will follow a white
line on a black field. I could use some sample programs to help the students. We
have not had much luck in getting the programs to follow a line that goes in
multiple directions (not a circle).

I am tempted to give each team the same program to start with and soem might
have to program differently for speed and accuracy of their design.

Robert,

There are many things that can affect how well a line following robot can work.

Assuming you're using a single light sensor, and a differential drive robot
(tank drive), the simplest approach is to use "edge-following".  This means if
the sensor sees "light" one motor stops, while the other goes forward.  When the
sensor sees "dark" the other motor stops, while the first goes forward.

This approach doesn't work well, if the robot is too fast.  And, the "threshold"
between light and dark will vary with different light sensors.

However, it's a pretty simple program, and will work on a simple (slow) robot.
A slow robot would be one that uses almost any wheel, geared down.

Need more?
Steve