 Robotics / 2559
Re: IR Port as Proximity detector.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 17:26:18 GMT

Michael Gasperi wrote:

    SendMessage(level);

You are only making IR light with the transmitter, why do you send the value of
level?  Why not just a constant?

Agreed, I could have sent OhFF or any number for that matter.  Sending
the read light level was a legacy of my early debugging code in which I
was using RcxCC's live monitoring feature to see what values were being
read to establish my threshold value.  I found that w/ a 100% Transmit
duty cycle, it would wash out any attempts to communicate with the
tower.

Instead, I defined a constant and had the test program beep when it
exceeded the theshold.  The old code never changed.

I am going to try Simen Svale Skogsrud's (the originator that I know of
of this idea) idea of checking for large jumps in absolute values.  Also
will try a smaller duty cycle, let's say 5-10% to save on battery life
and to allow for IR Tower incoming transmissions.

Maybe

#define THRESHOLD 100
int level;
int oldlevel;

task Ping
{
  while(true)
  {
    repeat(10)
    {
      level = IN_2; Or whatever sensor your light monitor is.
      if(abs(level1,oldlevel) > THRESHOLD)
      {
        /*do what ever collision routine you want to do
      }
      oldlevel = level;
    }
    sleep(400);
  }
}

Have to figure how many bytecodes I use inside the repeat() loop and
adjust the 10 and 400 numbers accordingly to set a particular duty
cycle.  Or just wing it and see...

Dave Chen