 Robotics / 25411
25410  |  25412
Subject:
The LAST post (hopefully) about Java and the NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 17:42:56 GMT

Look,

There's been a pretty heated debate about support for Java on the NXT.
All we're asking for is TLG to support Java **in addition to** whatever
GUI/Labview programming environment that will be used for the general
masses out there.

I think that some of you fail to realize that officially supporting
Labview and Java (or J2ME rather) are not mutually exclusive. TLG can
support both programming environments for the NXT.  One programming
environment can be used for 12-year old kids and their dads to tinker
around with, and the other can be for more experienced programmers,
AFOLs, and colleges/universities.

I know, I know, we can always wait for the "hacker community" to create
a JVM and wait for the bugs to get ironed out. However, since the NXT
will be supporting Bluetooth (which has currently about 40+ different
profiles) I would like to see something officially supported rather
than to wait 2 years for the hacker community to come up with something
decent.

I'm almost done here. But just think about all the Bluetooth devices
that exist today for a second. This includes the following:
1. keyboards
2. mice
3. GPS devices
4. phones
5. PDAs
6. network access points
7. laptops
8. cameras
9. printers
10. headphones
11. speakers

Now the ordinary 12-year old kid (and I stress the word "ordinary")
won't be making robots that use a Bluetooth mouse for steering a robot
around an obstacle course, saving points of interest with the help of a
Bluetooth GPS device, discovering and communicating with other robots
along the way, and finally sending all the results to a printer when
the course is complete...

...but somebody will. And TLG will get the press coverage (and look
good) when someone does.

thanks,

(the other) Bruce