 Robotics / 25348
  What to do if not selected for the NXT Developer's Program?

Since I'm coming to grip with the sheer number of people who applied and there are only 100 vacants, I need a plan B. I no longer own the Mindstorms set so at this point, I'm unforunately brick-free. Any suggestions? Is it worth picking up the (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: What to do if not selected for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) The 8421 crane is a very nice set. It has a good mix of studded and studless pieces. You can learn a lot about building, by building it. Steve (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: What to do if not selected for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Thanks Steve. This really comes much appreciated. I'm really positive at this point I'm going to face the fact that I will buy my NXT in August. With that said it gives ME the opportunity to build up a Lego collection. There are a couple of (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: What to do if not selected for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) shop.lego.com currently says June 19th. (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: What to do if not selected for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) JUNE 19th!? That's almost as stunning to hear as the announcement of NXT itself. When they originally said August, I added on the normal consumer-electronics company "oops factor" and arrived at the conclusion that we'd be lucky to see any (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: What to do if not selected for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Hey, that's the day after my birthday... :) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: What to do if not selected for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I'm still trying to come to grips with the "studless" building thing. It seems to me that will leave out an awful lot of creativity. Does that mean no technic beams either? That is a major part of my robot construction theme! DLC (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: What to do if not selected for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) If you look at the sample models, you'll see there are still some studded beams, but very few. It looks like just enough to connect a studless model to a baseplate. Can you explain why you think building studless requires less creativity than (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

"Steve Hassenplug" <Steve@TeamHassenplug.org> wrote in message news:24317.66.84.205...air.com... (...) OMG! That's an amazing discovery! You mean the new studless system is compatible and can interconnect to the *old* studded system? No way!!!!! (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: What to do if not selected for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I don't think it requires less creativity, but I do think it reduces the creative possibilities for those that don't already have a collection of studded technic bricks. There are some things that studless just doesn't do very well, and having (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: What to do if not selected for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I agree. Simply put, more types of parts to work with increases the realm of possibility. Kev (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: What to do if not selected for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I wouldn't say requires less. What about the wings, eyeballs, toenails (See the dinosaur models) and other things are are stud based. Not everyone wants to build wireframe exoskeletons - My four year old likes his bricks! But if there are (...) (18 years ago, 21-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)