 Robotics / 25106
Re: USB Host and Slave
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:44:19 GMT

On 10/01/06, Christian Treczoks <ct@braehler.com> wrote:
PeterBalch wrote:
There's been a lot of discussion of how hard it is to make a USB host
compared to a Slave.
But that's a general-purpose USB host (like a PC). What if it were a
"special purpose" host.
I'd say: Why bother? Connect whatever device you need to the PC, and
have it talk to the NXT either via Bluetooth or USB. OK, you'll need a
Software on the host PC, but for some peripherals, the NXT will just not
do, regardless of wether you can interface the hardware or not (e.g.
image capture on a camera for motion detection - the NXT has way to
little memory to do something useful here!).

I do not think that would really not work very well for additional
sensor ideas and the like. Although for a camera I would be a great
deal more likely to use a phone, and or PDA, connecting a mouse (or
trackball) as a sensor would be cool - especially an optical one. As
you were saying regarding memory, being able to connect at least a
storage device may allow a few bigger options here.

One of the reasons I was sorely disappointed with vision command was
the umbilical to the PC.
--
Danny Staple MBCS
OrionRobots