 Robotics / 25089
25088  |  25090
Subject:
localization (was re: GPS)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 05:06:03 GMT

On another list, we've spent some time researching differential GPS.  Turns
out it's not as simple as having two GPS units compare notes.  You have to
know which satellites you are talking to, and that's complicated.  They tend
to switch on and off randomly.

Truth is, centimeter (or even foot) accuracy with GPS is an expensive
proposition, in the thousands of dollars.  If anyone knows different, I'd
love to hear about it, but I'm pretty sure it's not available.  They make a
lot of money selling these units for surveying and farming, and there's no
market yet for cheap versions.

Localization, even in a known indoor space, is actually quite a difficult
problem.  Outside is much worse.  I've had some good luck using odometry and
path memory, using sonar and vision (one project used a lego robot with a
small laptop; scroll down this page to see it
http://www.danbmil.com/lego/index.html)

I'm very interested in seeing what can be done with NXT.  My primary focus
is software (that's why I like Lego; no saws, screws, or drills!)  If anyone
else is interested in sharing thoughts about applying some sophisticated
programming to this platform (especially if you happen to be one of the 100
chosen!) please let me know.

-dbm

--- Ignacio Martinez Vazquez <ignamv@gmail.com> wrote:

   Hm. Well, when surveying I've sometimes used differential GPS
(locating cave entrances, truth be told). This can get down to centimeter
resolution IF you want to wait a long time, but certainy far better than 1
meter. Two NXT's with GPS, one as a base station (stationary) to do
differential GPS with?

Cool! Might be complicated to calculate with the NXT, but I'm sure
there's a way (PIC PIC PIC :). But how do you accurately find the
coordinates of the base station? Google earth :P?