 Robotics / 25088
Re: GPS (was: mindstorms NXT and memory)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 04:07:32 GMT

Ignacio Martinez Vazquez wrote:
  Hm. Well, when surveying I've sometimes used differential GPS (locating cave entrances, truth be told). This can get down to centimeter resolution IF you want to wait a long time, but certainy far better than 1 meter. Two NXT's with GPS, one as a base station (stationary) to do differential GPS with?

Cool! Might be complicated to calculate with the NXT, but I'm sure
there's a way (PIC PIC PIC :). But how do you accurately find the
coordinates of the base station? Google earth :P?

Well, Google earth isn't going to get you very far - the best precision
it has is something like a half meter - but the photographs are likely
to be aligned with real-world lat/lon coordinates using non-differential
GPS.

But what does your robot care about knowing it's EXACT lat/long?

In most cases, your only concern is how where you are relative to
some fixed point (which can be the base station) - you don't care
where you are on the entire surface of the earth.