 Robotics / 25057
Re: Bluetooth?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 03:17:47 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ted Michon wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Rob Hendrix wrote:
I'm not up to speed on bluetooth technology, but I got to thinking about a
possibility of something similar to Vision Command using Bluetooth.  Can a
computer with bluetooth talk to more than one device at once?

The idea is to have a wireless bluetooth camera using software on your
computer to control your NXT robot in real time.  You could mount your
camera on your bot and have it "see".  The camera would have software (on
the pc) that interacted with your NXT bot much like the Vision Command did
(only wirelessly!).  The software could then send commands to your bot or
run certain code that you previously downloaded to the NXT unit.  Is this a
possibility?

-Rob

Rob-

Bluetooth can talk to many devices (although only one at any given instant). If
you were going to control your system from your PC, there's no reason to send
the data through the NXT to the PC -- might as well send it directly to the PC.
Bluetooth is good for about 1 Mbs, which would be fine for something low res
like Vision Command.

-Ted

Rob-
Bluetooth is a master-slave topology allowing communication through master
units.  No slave-slave communication is possible via the current spec (heh heh
research people are working on this as well).  A small network of bluetooth
devices is called a piconet lets you set up to seven slaves to communicate
with/through a master unit.  I'm not sure if the NXT has both modes of
operation, but a BT-enabled PC can act as master to up to seven slave-mode
NXT's.  That would make for a neat lineup!! So the first question's answer is
yes, if the PC is a master and everything else is a slave in your piconet.

Another trick would be to find a way to pass this video data along.  I see the
bot acting as master with the PC and cam as slaves.  You'd need to design your
physical setup correctly as BT range is only 10m.  However, if you want the bot
to just carry the cam around inside a 10m radius to your PC, then no NXT
configuration would be needed, like Ted said above!

Beyond that range, it gets a bit more complicated (scatternet, etc.).  If you
kept the bot to within that range, then all you'd need would be some code ninjas
to hack, sorry, reverse engineer the NXT source, provide another version of NQC
or something like that, and you could run a custom program on the NXT.  I have
no idea what kind of native capability the NXT has with respect to executing a
custom program to do what you're describing, but I'll bet somebody is working on
it or will be soon.

Dave