 Robotics / 25055
Re: Bluetooth?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 02:02:23 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Rob Hendrix wrote:
I'm not up to speed on bluetooth technology, but I got to thinking about a
possibility of something similar to Vision Command using Bluetooth.  Can a
computer with bluetooth talk to more than one device at once?

The idea is to have a wireless bluetooth camera using software on your
computer to control your NXT robot in real time.  You could mount your
camera on your bot and have it "see".  The camera would have software (on
the pc) that interacted with your NXT bot much like the Vision Command did
(only wirelessly!).  The software could then send commands to your bot or
run certain code that you previously downloaded to the NXT unit.  Is this a
possibility?

It must be a possibility, because somebody has already done it.  Check out this
Ericsson bluetoooth controlled camera/robot:

http://www.gizmag.co.uk/go/3837/

Unless I'm missing it, however, the article doesn't mention resolution or frame
rate.  It can't be too good, considering the bandwidth of bluetooth.

Since bluetooth is relatively low bandwidth (1mbps), another option which may
work even better is to mount a 802.11g wifi camera on your robot.  Such cameras
do exist (for a price) and because they are 802.11g, you could send full motion
video to your PC.  The PC could then do whatever processing is necessary and
send commands back to the robot over bluetooth.  In this way, you've solved any
potential problems with the PC trying to talk to two devices over bluetooth.
You've also put the high-bandwidth signals (video) on the high-bandwidth link
and the low-bandwidth signals (commands to the robot) on the low-bandwidth link.
The biggest challenge would probably be figuring out how to get sufficient power
to the 802.11g camera.

Mike