 Robotics / 25033
Re: Loading cargo from and to train electrically
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 18:53:59 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Elroy Davis wrote:
In lugnet.announce, Edmund Nussbaum wrote:
Hi,
this machinery can load cargo onto a train waggon and
also load cargo off, too. See

http://www.nussbaums.homepage.t-online.de/trldunld.html

The images (in better quality) for building instructions
can be downloaded at

http://www.nussbaums.homepage.t-online.de/temp.html

eddy

You beat me to it!

I've been toying with this sort of idea in my head for a couple of months.  I'm
hung up on the idea of making the pushers look like cargo loaders of some sort
though (fork-lifts maybe?).

My thinking was to build two of these and set them up on opposite sides of a
train layout.  An RCX would somehow stop a train, then check to see if the
waggon was loaded.  If not, it would be loaded, then continue on to the next
station, where it could be unloaded, thereby setting up automated cargo delivery
for the entire layout.

Nice job.  It's nice to see that the concept works.

-Elroy

I too had thought about something similar. I had got much past the specs though.
I wanted a system that only used one rcx per station. One channel would control
the train leaving me with only two remaining.

I'd never thought of a system which didn't somehow lock the containers too the
wagon, therefore my system was to have magnets on the containers. An overhead
track would hold multiple containers, which would slide over the train one by
one. Once aligned the container would be lowered, A mechanism would have to be
incorporated to push apart the magnets when the container had been lowered
enough. The container would then self align onto ramps built onto the wagon.

Steve