 Robotics / 24741
    what batteries —Robert C. Peterson
   We are starting a mindstorm club at the missionary school here in Bogotá and have 4 sets, but we want to try to keep costs down so for the long term we were considering rechargeable batteries, but they have a significant voltage disadvantage. How (...) (19 years ago, 20-Dec-05, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: what batteries —Peter Loron
     I've had very good luck using NiMH AA batteries in my RCX. I never ran a set of alkalines out in mine, so I cannot compare run times. However, a set of alkalines would need to last hundreds of times longer than a set of NiMH cells to be cheaper (not (...) (19 years ago, 21-Dec-05, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: what batteries —Philippe Hurbain
     (...) I mostly agree with your comparison. But NiMH has one major drawback: they power the RCX under 7.2V instead of 9V. The motors turn slower and deliver about half mechanical power, see this chart: (URL) Of course this is probably not a problem (...) (19 years ago, 21-Dec-05, to lugnet.robotics, FTX)

        Re: what batteries —Mr S
   Robert, I've had a lot of good luck with Energizer batteries, but have also used some of the higher 2200+ mah brands. All seem to work well with the RCX. The only thing to be aware of is mixing batteries. If you have 5 with a 2200mah rating and one (...) (19 years ago, 24-Dec-05, to lugnet.robotics)