 Robotics / 24664
Re: Design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 00:25:31 GMT

Mr S wrote:
In any test of intelligence or test for intelligence
that I have heard of, none pass the last two points.
Yet, somehow, even a 4 month old baby is able to have
both an agenda and an attention span even though it
has failed to learn anything useful to the parents
thus far, and in fact, would not be able to pass the
Turing test...

The Turing test only says that a system that can pass
the test should be considered intelligent - not that
a system that cannot pass the test is not intelligent.

This is an important criticism of the test.  There
are a lot of very clever AI programs out there that
cannot pass the Turing test because (amongst other
things) they don't know who Santa Claus is.  This
doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't intelligent.