 Robotics / 24659
Re: Design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 04:07:29 GMT

Quoting steve <sjbaker1@airmail.net>:

dan miller wrote:

I'm quite certain that we will one day have walking, talking, human-level
AI, and most folks will still be quite sure that it's just a mindless
machine, a trick of programming.  Newsflash: our very souls are a trick of
programming, albeit a fantastically complex one.

I firmly believe that.

There is a famous 'proof' that AI is impossible - "The Chinese Room"
argument by John Searle.

Are you sure? This Chinese Room arguably disproves the validity of the
so-called Turing Test. The Turing Test deals only with one small aspect of
AI, the question of whether a machine is judged 'intelligent' if it operates
in a manner indistinguishable from a human.

Expert Systems are another application of "AI" and they are one of the few
commercially succesful applications. Expert systems are not invalidated at
all by the Chinese Room.

Neither are rule-based circuit board auto routers. We use them and they are
amazing to watch. Orders of magnitude faster than a human, but still not as
good as one.

Part of the issue here is how you define AI: bottom up? Top down? Expert
system? Etc.

I'm no expert on AI. But I recommend "Artificial Intelligence - a Modern
Approach", 2nd edition. It's a heft volume but full of practical information
and very readable. Also another fun read - "The Cambridge Quintet".

Regards

Bruce