 Robotics / 24654
New contest: Was Design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2005 19:16:22 GMT

Peter,
Everyone interested. The thread (fractured as it was)
was getting a bit long to quote everyone, so I thought
I'd start this new one.

Yes, Peter, I agree with 99% of all that you have
stated. I think the 'boys' toy model works, even if
only for awhile. The ability to nurture and interact
with a robot is important, as this is what the 'girls'
toy model is, and, as I stated, the model for pet
cats. You pet them for a bit, then they walk away,
feed them, then they walk away and go nap. Interaction
and nurturing is limited for cats (for the most part).

So, in the interests of those of us who are
interested, I suggest that we all compete in a new
contest, ostensibly for bragging rights, but for the
better understanding of robotics software in the
larger view. Of course, we need at least a core group
of people who will compete/enter and who agree on a
basic set of qualifying criteria (so we can judge-ish
a winner). Obviously, I am quite interested to hear
ideas from anyone/everyone else.

The name could be the Lego Year End Event? Since there
is no prize money, I thought 'event' is a good
descriptive word.

and goal of the first contest is simple:
"Don't get stuck behind the couch"

I'd like to see it go for many years and include many
people, schools, etc.

The rules are pretty simple too, or at least I think
they are, and obviously we should discuss these.

The rules for the "Don't get stuck behind the couch"
contest are:

1 - Must use Lego parts
2 - Can use non-Lego parts. There are no rules about
how many batteries or RCX's or microcontrollers you
use on your robot. This is not a 'single RIS' contest.
3 - All information regarding hardware design and
software should be shared as cost of entry to the
'Event' to ensure that others can replicate and verify
your results... should they want to.
4 - Legs, wheels, whegs, whatever... your robot must
be mobile.
5 - Your robot must be autonomous, and in the
interests of those goals as stated on the thread
previously, it is not permissable to link your robot
to another pc via RF or other wireless or wired link.
Certainly roaches and cats have no tethers...
7 - Aside from not getting stuck behind the couch, the
following goals are suggested as secondary
requirements:
7a - The robot should interact with the environment in
one or more ways
7b - The robot should interact with humans in one or
more ways
7c - The robot should indicate when it is time to
recharge batteries

Some examples of the section 7 goals would be:

-Follows noises
-'rests' in bright light
-is able to be 'petted' and reacts to this
-can hide or seek out events or elements in the
environment, such as bright light, noise, people, IR
beacons etc.

The winner of the 2006 Lego Year End Event: "Don't get
stuck behind the couch" contest will be determined by
voting submitted through this email list after viewing
the videos etc. Obviously, this is for bragging
rights, so popular vote by either contestants only, or
contestants and general public should be the rule.
Entries are submitted with a reasonably good write up,
technical specifications, pictures, and I hope
everyone can submit a video. Run time values is
obviously something that cannot be strictly judged, so
entrants should be honest. Entry materials should
allow anyone else to reproduce their results.

I would suggest that we give credits for insect or
animal like behaviors, since that is part of the
comparisons that have been made. A year gives time for
announcing the contest, as well as for development. I
think that a contestant may enter at anytime before
judging time that they wish, and as many times as they
wish. If a contestant enters robot-x in March, but
makes changes they should withdraw robot-x, and
re-enter the robot under a different name (like
robot-x1) so that there is no confusion around that.
The contest should allow all contestants to enter when
they are ready - as this would help inspire others to
enter. Perhaps by Oct 2006 we can get a sponsor (such
as mindsensors etc) to actually put a prize to the
event.

Judging in the 2006 event should include other things
than simply not getting stuck.

a - run time - should be measured in hours or days or
weeks. That is to say, despite changing batteries, the
longer your robot runs autonomously without getting
stuck, the better your chances of winning. Having to
go to work presents a problem, so if the robot goes to
a 'feeding bowl' for more batteries, if it dies there,
it still counts. Run time should be adjudged by that
time not spent at the feeding bowl. Perhaps a timer
linked to the presence of the robot at the feeding
bowl would help determine total run time.

b - ability to interact (coolness counts) and
hopefully, judges will award higher marks for
interactions that make the most sense. A roach doesn't
interact with humans much except to scurry away, but
cats do... its a subjective issue that we should
discuss if we decide to have the event.

c - The robot should positively indicate that it needs
more batteries rather than just die on the carpet
somewhere. If it breaks down in the hallway, that is
as good as a dead roach etc. If the batteries die
while it is at the 'feeding bowl' then all is good and
run time continues after the batteries are changed
out. This will allow those of us who do not have 137
rechargable batteries hanging around with nothing to
do, to compete on the run time parameter. This is
especially important to those using only the RCX.

d - Run time starts at the 'feeding bowl' and anytime
at the 'feeding bowl' is not counted in the run
time... unless your robot can recharge itself (that
should garner many extra points).

e - Extra points should be awarded if your robot does
something special like hoarding small objects it finds
on the floor; purrs when you 'pet' it; can recharge
itself; can learn some behavior such as remembering a
thing or person and indicate that it has done
something new (in some way???) like running from
bright light unless you are there with it?; I'm not
too sure on all of these, and they are, of course,
subjective.

f - If the robot wanders around more than one room yet
still finds the 'feeding bowl' that should count for
points.

g - ANY emergent behavior should be explained/explored
and pointed out for the 'judges' to consider.

Okay, as an initial blurb, I think that is about it.
That is some rules, but none that should preclude
anyone on technicalities of materials or battery
technologies. I am most probably wrong on some points,
but that is how a first draft goes.

What do you think about such an 'event'?
Is it worth doing?
Does anyone want to enter such an event?
Is there anyone reading this that wants to offer up a
prize for the 2006 event?

Cheers

Scott (Mr S)

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs