 Robotics / 24544
RE: Mindstorms vs. Team Challenge as starter kit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:58:25 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

The Mindstorms kit has far more elements (718 vs 215) but most of those parts
are small lego bricks (which are still nice to have). The main technic
elements are roughly the same light sensors,  touch sensors, etc. I am a fan
of Robolab and a little biased but my then 7 year old got started on RIS and
he did not like robolab when I tried to get him to use it (although Robolab
has a pilot mode which is simpler than RIS), but as he learned more and was
able to do more he learned that Robolab is better and now agrees to that fact
:-)

He is now 12. My other son has always used robolab and is fine with it (he is
now 9).
===== Original Message From David Linker <dlinkdlink@mac.com> =====
I am thinking of getting one of these kits for my bright, almost 9 year old,
son.

I have two questions for those with experience with these kits.

- Is there any significant difference in the included hardware?

- How is Robolab for kids?

One other issue is that we only have Macs at home, so I think that I will
probably have to use Robolab in any case, and if I got the Mindstorms, would
have to by Robolab as an add-on.

Thanks for any insights or links.

David Linker