 Robotics / 24530
Re: Is it possible for a robot to count studs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 12 Nov 2005 15:34:19 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

"Steve Lane yahoo.co.uk>" <stevenrobertlane@<nospamplease> wrote in message
In lugnet.robotics, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

I've used gear racks for this purpose. 2.5 gear rack teeth = 1 stud.
Combine
with a gear and a rotation sensor and away you go.

Is there a way to do it without a rotation sensor?  I wasn't planning on a
LEGO order from S@H until after the New Year.

The other problem is the rotation sensor might need to move slowly across, I
don't know if this robot I'm building will traverse very fast across the
baseplate.  I've heard that they have problems at low speeds.

Yes. The rotation sensor does occasionaly mess up at low rotation speeds, but
this issue can be overcome by gearing up the actual rotation to higher speeds,
and then dividing it back down in software.

Kev