 Robotics / 24529
Re: Is it possible for a robot to count studs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 12 Nov 2005 12:18:42 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

Is there a way to do it without a rotation sensor?

   If you are moving slow enough, one possibility is using black friction pegs
on a technic beam, say, one every other hole, and a touch sensor that moves by
them counting them. If timing isn't enough to get you 1 +/- 0.1 stud resolution
between the pegs, use a second technic beam and an 2nd touch sensor (they could
be stacked) offset from the first system. Now it's one touch sensor press per
stud.
   You could also "make" a rotation sensor from a cam on an axle and a touch
sensor. Again, as long as you move slowly enough not to drop a count, I'd think
this could provided the needed resolution (especially be gearing up between the
mechanism positioning and the makeshift rotation sensor). Again, not a problem
if the speed isn't all theat important.
   I save my rotation sensors for places where I need fast, accurate, real-time
positioning. I love 'em, but they're not stackable, and they're not common (I've
got two, and feel lucky - I really need to order a third).

--
Brian Davis