 Robotics / 24305
Re: Sumo Contest - Sunday 10/9/05, Austin, TX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 19:58:10 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Bryan Bonahoom wrote:

That's great, except your rules eliminate the ability to build the "best bot".

All rules do this, from Sumo to BattleBots. The purpose of the rules has never
been to facilitate the best bot (you'd get Battlebots escalating towards armour
by the tonne and using nuclear weapons :-), the purpose is to form a
standardised playing field such that "outstanding design/engineering" can
(hopefully) be a match for "lots of money". I won't be competiting, but limiting
to 9V motors seems to me like a good choice to serve this purpose.

Perhaps a better saying would be "May the best designer win". Designing within
limitations is what design is all about :-)

(Yeah, I know, I whine too much about the limits of the brick sets available in
Factory to be saying stuff like that, but double standards are The New Black, or
something :-)