 Robotics / 23936
Re: ROBOLAB - RCX simulator?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:48:28 GMT

If you were a little sneaky, you could probably design some of the
basics with LDraw, and then use a Perl script or something to convert
it...

That is what I would attempt to do.
Orion
--
http://orionrobots.co.uk - Build Robots

On 4/29/05, dan miller <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
I think there is some sort of simulator for Brickos, which basically
involves compiling for the native processor rather than the RCX.

But the issue isnt language -- its what do you use for simulating input and
output?  The one I am referring to, I think you have to write C routines, so
its really just for debugging very low-level code.

If you are talking about the kind of simulator I was mentioning --  full 3D
graphics, physics, etc -- that emphatically does not exist, and will require
alot of work to build.  I think it is doable though.

There is one example I know of simulating a real lego robot, its called
webots, and it is a commercial package.  They have a simulator for a simple
line-following rover.  I am not clear on how much work it would be to
simulate other lego bots, but I get the impression its not really
lego-centric.  You would have to design all the Lego features by hand, ie
figure out measurements, etc., and I doubt that a good majority of the
things you could build would be possible to simulate.

--- danny staple <orionrobots@gmail.com> wrote:

It would be nice with any of the languages - maybe a small RCX
bytecode simulator, that came with a few basic configurations of buggy
or arm etc - these having predefined physical qualities. It depends
how much you would need to simulate though - if you wanted to simply
step through and see what motors were turning when - then no physical
simulator would be required.

I find myself thinking of a more complex version of the Lego
stormrunner game as a future model for simulation.

Orion
--
http://orionrobots.co.uk - Build Robots