 Robotics / 23916
Re: Robotic simulators
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:30:56 GMT

dan miller wrote:

I know there are 'simulators' for the RCX that work at code level, that's
only part of what I'm talking about.  This project would need a 3D dynamics
engine such as ODE, and visualization software such as OpenGL.

We have talked about this for a while before.

I think it's a very big problem to solve all of the physics stuff adequately
at the brick-by-brick level.  The visualisation doesn't give me quite so many
worries (but then I work as a graphics programmer).

The physics would be my big concern.  I've used ODE before - and (regrettably),
it's not the magic bullet you might think it is.

Whilst I'm sure you could build some sort of simulator - I'd be pretty
sceptical about it's ability to predict the performance of a real Lego
robot with any kind of fidelity.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net