 Robotics / 23856
Re: GPS Reality?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:14:42 GMT

three sonar beacons,
which are broadcast a radio ping, and then transmit each of their • signals.
The bot controller than uses the time difference between the request • radio
ping, and the sonar reply to work out its position.

So the robot works out it's best guess from the three intersecting circles.

Of course, the radio signal is not strictly neccessary. Beacon A broadcasts
it's beep. Beacon B hears A, waits a fixed delay then broadcasts it's beep.
Beacon C hears A, waits a longer delay time then broadcasts it's beep. Etc.
The robot hears the beeps (in order A, B, C, ... because the delays are
long enough). It works out it's best guess from the intersecting
hyperbolae.

JB: I've worked with a number of "solutions" but none of them are
anything I'd recommend.

What's the best you've see so far?

Peter