 Robotics / 23853
Re: Looking for the Mindstorms software.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:08:21 GMT

On Apr 11, 2005 7:21 AM, Elf <hogne.b.pettersen@elfworld.org> wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, John Hansen wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, tmassey@obscorp.com wrote:
I can't speak about bricxcc, but I was under the impression that NQC
required the Mindstorms software to be loaded, in order to use certain
Minstorm DLL's to communicate with the RCX via USB tower?  I know under
Linux it does not, but I thought at least under Windows it did.

Is this incorrect?

No it is not incorrect.  You do have to install the USB tower drivers in order
for NQC and BricxCC to use the USB tower to talk to the brick.  That is not the
case for the Serial tower.

You can get the tower drivers (along with the firmware) by downloading and
installing the MindStorms SDK 2.5:

http://mindstorms.lego.com/sdk2point5/LEGOMindstormsSDK25.zip

Alternatively, you could get the tower drivers from the link included in

http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=22119

Another source for USB tower drivers is via the Robolab for LabView page:

http://www.ceeo.tufts.edu/robolabatceeo/college/robolabforlabview/default.asp

When you say USB tower, do you mean the IR transmitter which you use to ransfer
your program to the RCX?

I have RIS v 1.5, will the drivers above work with that version as well?

-Elf-

The IR transceiver that comes with RIS 1.5 is a serial one, so it does
not need drivers.

William.