 Robotics / 22119
22118  |  22120
Subject:
LEGO USB IR Tower Driver Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:40:52 GMT

Hello all:

I am very pleased to announce that an updated driver for the USB IR Tower
has been released. This driver fixes the system crash problem experienced
by many users running Windows XP Pro on very new machines (usually 2.4Ghz
or faster).

There are a few things to note about this driver:

* Windows XP is supported - the driver will also work on Windows 9x and
Windows ME.
* Windows 2000 is not supported at this time. You can install the drivers
under Windows 2000 but the results are in your hands. All caveats apply.
* This driver will be publicly available and downloadable from the LEGO.com
website

This driver has not yet been placed on the LEGO.com server. I have been
told it will be placed there ASAP - probably sometime this week. Until
then, there are several ways to acquire this driver:

* Download it from my server (will only be there until the driver has been
placed on the LEGO.com server) at
http://www.roboticsresources.com/LegoTower.zip
* Email or call LEGO Tech Support. They have a copy of this driver that
they would be happy to send to you free.

THIS DRIVER IS NOT AND WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE ON CD. Please do not call
Consumer Service about this issue - you can find email forms and phone
numbers at this page for contacting customer support:
http://mindstorms.lego.com/support/en/ris20.asp. However, you are
encouraged to use the download site instead of emailing. The zip file is
approximately 185KB, so it should not take even dialup users long to download.

Any feedback is appreciated, especially regarding the functionality of the
driver. If you have a problem do not hesitate to email me regarding it and
I will alert the appropriate people.

Play Well,
~Mike