 Robotics / 23772
Re: Robolab as a tool for teaching programming
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:31:55 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Claude Baumann wrote:
It is almost obvious, that ROBOLAB programs are considered -if not simply
ignored by skilled professionals- as pure programming amateurism. May be ! But
let's make things clear: ROBOLAB is an advanced LabVIEW application, and LabVIEW
is spreading all over the globe as the most powerful programming tool there is.
The main lesson we can learn from LabVIEW is, that there has been a change of
the paradigm in what computer-programming means. The question is very simple:
can we reduce costs through bringing programming into the reach of less
specialized skilled programmers. LabVIEW makes programming easy, even for people
that are only occasional programmers. And LabVIEW generates robust code from the
graphical code. This is the horror for those who think that they are
"irremplaçables" (French). What else do we gain with LabVIEW: good programs are
produced in considerable shorter time.

Claude Baumann
author of Ultimate ROBOLAB

Note that the LEGO Company appears to agree strongly with you.  From a press
release I just read:

-----------

NEWS RELEASE – March 28, 2005 – NI today announced The LEGO Company uses the NI
LabVIEW graphical development environment and NI PCI-based data acquisition
boards in its quality assurance department to test and optimize the lifetimes of
its electric motor-based products, including popular toys ranging from race cars
to speedboats and the new out-door RC-car “Dirt Crushers.” With a LabVIEW-based
data-logging and test system, LEGO engineers increased the number of successful
quality tests performed daily by up to 20 times, helping the company
significantly reduce time to market for its new releases.

“Without LabVIEW, we could not have improved the effectiveness of our test
systems as quickly as we did,” said Niels Duedahl, vice president of the LEGO
global supply chain. “Overall, we have experienced efficiency gains that were
impossible to imagine a few years ago and improved our testing by a factor of
20. With the ability to perform many simultaneous tests on our motors and gear
boxes and acquire more accurate data, we can more quickly deliver motor-based
products that are more thoroughly tested and longer-lasting to our customers.”

The full press release is available:
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050328/285364.html?.v=1