 Robotics / 23764
Re: GBC 6 - the obsession continues...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:38:23 GMT

On Tue, March 29, 2005 3:31 am, Philippe Hurbain said:
a module that successfully used the
Mindstorms tank treads (!) to lift the balls, and a couple of novel lifts based
on bent lift arms (one case lifting balls by essentially pushing them up a wall
- very cool).

Could we have more details/photos for these novel techniques? I was not so
successful in deciphering GBC6 photos...

The photos are not very good.  They came from a video I took, which is also not very
good.  Sorry Philo, it's nothing like the stuff you create.  :)

As the GBCs get bigger, it gets harder and harder to get the whole thing in a single
video shot, but I have some footage to upload.  soon...

But let's see if I can explain some modules..

And as Iain I'd like to know what's inside the black box!

in a second...

Near the beginning, is "Gus", a forklift that's almost a total rip-off of one of
SMART's CCCC devices.

Followed by a very poor picture of "cascade", a module with replaceable plates that
anyone can populate with pieces that balls can run down (like 'plinko')

On around the corner is the Black Box, built by Kerby.  You really couldn't see what
was going on inside, but the balls didn't stay in there very long.  It's almost like
they ran straight up a conveyor belt, and out the side.

Of course, there was John's ever evolving backhoe, now in Construction Yellow and
Black, with a 6 piston radial compressor.

And, a yellow Spybot driven paddle-wheel, that runs backwards, if the wheel is
jammed, by triggering a touch-sensor press.

This red and green module is hard to explain.
Maybe we should wait for the video.  It uses double-bend liftarms to push balls up
to the next level.

And, after scoring a soccer (football) goal, the balls are passed to this module
were they are lifted, using a pair of back-to-back tank treads

However, the big suprize was watching the crowd reaction as the ONE basket ball
moved around the GBC...

Video will follow...
Steve