 Robotics / 23752
23751  |  23753
Subject:
One last Robolab comment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 03:14:50 GMT

I think I’ve done about as much commenting about Robolab as is allowed by any one individual so after this post I promise I’ll be quiet.

First off, I got a very nice email from Dr Chris Rogers in which he explained some things about Robolab to me that I did not already know. He told me, for example, that you can define enumerations and use them instead of numeric constants. That’s a very good thing. He also reminded me that if you don’t like the way Robolab does things you can always write your own VIs and use them instead. That is also a nice feature.

I spent many hours today going over two CMU tutorials that LEGO sells on their website which talk in some detail about programming in Robolab. I’m referring to the Robotics Explorer (Series One) and the Robotics Educator CDROMs. I also download the 303 page Robolab reference guide and looked through it at great length. There certainly are a lot of icons for young kids to learn about. I was troubled somewhat by how very similar (and rather non-descript) the images on the icons were. Thank goodness for the popup context-sensitive help available within the GUI. Hopefully nobody will ever need to decypher them all without it (like I’ve been trying to do while looking at images on the internet).

Anyway, in the tutorials I came across two prime examples of a core problem in Robolab. Here’s the text of the assignment for the first image:

4. If the light sensor is over the white paper, then if the touch sensor is pressed in, turn on motor A in the forward direction, otherwise turn on motor A in the reverse direction. Else, if the light sensor is over the black paper, then if the touch sensor is pressed in, turn on motor C in the forward direction, otherwise turn on motor C in the reverse direction. For all conditions, the motor should run for 4 seconds, then stop. (Hint: You’ll need 3 fork merges).

and then there’s this image (with text embedded in the image itself).

Sure, people write buggy code in text-based languages every day. But these sorts of bugs are far more likely to occur in a graphic programming environment than in a text-based one.

John Hansen