 Robotics / 23751
Re: Robolab's string
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 02:49:38 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Claude Baumann wrote:
   the program you are proposing for discussion is a good example for bad programming practise, you are absolutely right. I think Dijkstra was the first to insist to banish GOTOs from well structured programming. This was one of the things I didn’t like too much, when we started with ROBOLAB.

The program I showed was the only way you can write a while (true) loop in Robolab with a break statement to terminate the infinite loop. It is Robolab’s standard implementation of that good programming practice.

My point was that strings attached to the ‘end’ corner of a jump icon have no logic connection anywhere other than to the begin corner of the land pair.

   Nqc is brillant, ... Dave you did a great job out there. BrickOS is a great result of the open source idea and the programmers should have our estimation. LejOS simply is amazing. And I love PbForth ! Ralph, that’s so cool. But forgive me: all this was yesterday.

I appreciate your sentiments, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that you are wrong. Modern text-base languages will long outlive the fad of graphical programming. Saying otherwise is like saying that people will quit using Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C, and Ctrl-V in favor of reaching over to the mouse and picking a menu item to do the equivalent. People who do that today are slow and every day they are being overtaken by the people who learn to keep their hands on the keyboard at all times if possible. Or its like saying that we’ll someday stop typing words on a keyboard and pick words from a list of predefined frequently used words on a palette (possibly digging around through several palettes after enabling the highest allowed language level) and stringing them together with the mouse. Nothing about graphical programming improves on what can be done with (and arguably cannot help but provide less ability than and be more difficult to learn than) text-based languages.

John Hansen