 Robotics / 23741
23740  |  23742
Subject:
Robolab's string
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:52:43 GMT

As mentioned elsewhere I could be wrong about Robolab. But absent any informative correction from the Robolab experts listening in I am left to my own devices to make heads or tails of what Robolab is teaching our children. And the more I examine the information I have access to regarding Robolab the more puzzled I get. Perhaps someone can enlighten me. Take, for example, the Robolab program below:

Here we have a simple Robolab program. There are lines (string) connecting the various icons together. I’m thinking to myself, what do these lines represent? Is it logic flow? I can see how that might be, in spite of the lack of arrow heads indicating direction. I can make the leap that suggests the procedural flow is always toward the stop light. But there are two pink lines that puzzle me if the lines represent the flow of logic. One is directly after the green up arrow and the other is directly after the red up arrow.

In no case can the flow of logic in this program flow past an up arrow to the icon beyond it. So what does that line mean? Why is it there? It is a mystery. Can anyone help me understand why in Robolab you draw a line out of an up arrow (jump icon) to the next icon in the sequence of icons leading toward the stop light? If the lines represent logic flow then the only line coming out of an up arrow icon would be a line connecting that icon directly to its pair (the down arrow of the same color). Any other lines coming out of an up arrow icon seem as if they would suggest something entirely and completely false. Looking at the picture it would seem like the program logic could flow through the green up arrow to the merge icon and then to the red up arrow icon and finally to the green down arrow icon.

Thanks!

John Hansen