 Robotics / 23574
Re: FLL not allowing NQC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 03:23:48 GMT

As far as I am concerned, you can quote me. My view is
that anything that isn't against the rules is
allowable, and the rules are the rules. If you don't
think they are fair, ask for them to be chaanged or go
to other competitions.

There were not many who got to run in the first DARPA
grand challenge, but I bet they all think the rules
were fair?

The rules are the rules... its a competition, not a
government run business. Part of the competition is to
compete within the rules, and sometimes that means
acquiring hardware to be able to compete.

If you can show the organizers that changes in the
rules will add competitors and increase the
effectiveness of the competition goals, I'm sure that
they will at least listen.

Remember, the rules are in place for a reason.
Anything directly contravening the original concepts
is just not going to work.

Cheers

--- John Barnes <barnes@sensors.com> wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Stephen Johnson
<diordna@macintoshdevelopers.net> wrote:
Do you guys mind if I send them an email with some • of your post
snippets? I'm probably going to be • assistant-coaching an FLL team next
year, and I've never used anything *but* NQC, and • I don't know how to
get RoboLab.

Not at all as far as any of my comments go. I can't
speak for the other posters
on this subject of course. But I do think it is high
time that FLL reviewed this
particular rule.

I have been asked a number of times if AFOLs would
be interested in showing up
with an AFOL solution to the previous year's FLL
challenge at an event like
BrickFest, and upon discussing this with other AFOL
Mindstorms enthusiasts, find
there's no interest in something like this if they
can't use NQC.

I think the addition of NQC to "the rules" would
create a unification amongst
diverse groups of Mindstorms users which is long
overdue.

JB