 Robotics / 23576
RE: FLL not allowing NQC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 03:55:25 GMT

Actually, I had spent some time musing whether RCXs in tandem could be used
for the DARPA competition (haven't looked at the rules, tho), because I was
wondering if this would be a fun challenge for an advanced class...

If Labview can run the Mars Rover, why can't ROBOLAB w/some RCXs run DARPA?

Of course, that depends how you demonstrate "original or novel design."  But
I'm thinking an SUV w/Mindstorms wouldn't exactly be run of the mill! LOL!!!

Liz

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com] On Behalf Of
John Barnes
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 9:39 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: FLL not allowing NQC

In lugnet.robotics, Mr S <szinn_the1@yahoo.com> wrote:

There were not many who got to run in the first DARPA
grand challenge, but I bet they all think the rules
were fair?

I took a hard look at the rules for the last DARPA competition.

That was then I discovered that it is a shining example of a highly biased
competition.

You cannot just show up and compete. You can only compete if you can
demonstrate
that your entry is of "original or novel design".

So you can't stick a GPS on a bulldozer and watch it got from A to B. Sad.
'cos
I had a bulldozer lined up to go :( And I work for a company that does
vehicle
navigation.

Ok I'll admit this is a bit off topic, an RCX wasn't going to make it as the
CPU.

JB