 Robotics / 23573
Re: RIS 2.0 Problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 03:05:09 GMT

RIS/Robolab is an educational dead-end.  It leads nowhere
and the bad software design habits they engender may actually
have to be 'unlearned' before a child can learn the right
way to build computer programs.

I take issue w/this statement on a number of levels.  1st, is the assumption
that RIS/Robolab somehow leads to bad programing habits.  Back this statement
up!  While you can certainly show me some shoddy Robolab code, I can counter
w/equally poor NCQ code.  Any bad habits cannot be blamed on the programming
environment.

2nd is the "educational dead end" assertion.  Many seem to think that the only
"real" languages are text based.  This is simply not true.  Whether you typing
words, writing ones and zeros or "drawing" a program, the concepts are the same.
Furthermore, should any of these kids pursue engineering, they are extremely
likely to encounter LabVIEW, the basis of Robolab.

Now, having said that, NQC would be fine addition to FLL.

Cheers,

Tom