 Robotics / 23433
Re: Modular RC kits?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:53:25 GMT

Joe Strout wrote:

> I knew that, and thank you, but it's not what I'm asking for.  I don't have an
> RCX, nor would I want to use one for this.  I need *radio* control, not remote
> (infrared) control, and I don't want to involve a computer.  I apologize that I
> wasn't more specific in my original post.

You may not be aware that you don't need a computer - or to do any form of
programming in order to use the RCX with the Lego remote controller.  However,
all you get that's of much use without programming is six buttons to control
the three motor outlets in either forward or reverse - plus some buttons to
make the RCX beep.  You can do better than that if you program the RCX - but
you get the basics without needing a PC or programming of any kind.

The cheaper 'Scout' computer also responds to the Lego remote.

However, it's certainly InfraRed and not Radio - with all of the limitations
that implies.

> LEGO already makes several RC cars, but at least from the ones I have seen, they
> are not modular; the radio speaks directly to a chassis, and you basically can
> just decorate that chassis.  You can't intercept the received signals and use
> them to control your own motors that do your own thing.

Yeah - they are pretty much useless.  I really wish Lego wouldn't make sets
like that...it's totally counter to the overall philosophy of the Lego system.

So - there clearly isn't a Lego solution to fit your needs.

> There must be someone here who would know how to receive a signal from a radio
> controller and use it to control the voltage to a motor?

Well, there are plenty of people who have adapted the Servo motors from a
standard model R/C set (eg Futaba) to drive Lego parts.  But servo motors
are not well suited to driving wheels (for example) because they only turn
about plus or minus 100 degrees from their center position on command from
the radio transmitters.  You could certainly use one of those to drive a
simple reversing switch - but you can do better than that.

The up-market radio controlled car people have fully proportional speed
controllers that connect to the output of a standard radio reciever and
generate voltages appropriate to driving small electric motors.  Seems
like that's what you should be investigating.

Look for a local radio controlled model store and take a look at the
range of stuff they provide.

Another possiblility is to buy a cheap R/C toy and rip that apart.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net