 Robotics / 23431
Re: Modular RC kits?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:44:12 GMT

Joe Strout writes:

> LEGO already makes several RC cars, but at least from the ones I
> have seen, they are not modular; the radio speaks directly to a
> chassis, and you basically can just decorate that chassis.  You
> can't intercept the received signals and use them to control your
> own motors that do your own thing.
>
> There must be someone here who would know how to receive a signal
> from a radio controller and use it to control the voltage to a
> motor?

I expect that if you open up the Lego RC car, you'll find standard RC
electronics inside it.  Why reinvent the wheel (pun unintended)?
Basically, there ought to be a servo controlling the steering, and a
drive motor controller.  Both of these should be accepting a PWM
signal which varies in width between 10ms and 20ms.

--
--My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | Don't like poverty?
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok |