 Robotics / 23338
23337  |  23339
Subject:
Technic plates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 04:45:32 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I was just putting together the classroom packs I use for teaching robotics.
Each two student team is given a tray of "standard" parts to work with.  To make
life easier I have tried to "color-coded" these sets with all components (as
much as possible) one color - black, white, grey, yellow, blue, red,
green.....when missing the appropriate color I used grey or black (generally
available in any size or configuration).

Having supplemented my parts assortment I was swapping in correct color parts
(having gotten my hands on some green, red and other color beams) when I faced
the everpresent lack of technic plates in red, blue, etc.....Having just
finished another  project in my workshop I figured "Why not?" and took a bunch
of 2x4, 2x6 and 2x8 standard plates down to the basement - and drill press. I
looked for a drill bit that was a snug fit in a stack of 6 or so grey technic
pieces.  Using this stack as a guide (on top of a stack of standard plates), I
was able to drill 6 plates at a time.  Use a flat base and a block of wood to
keep the stack perpindicular.

Not a "pure" solution but a functional one that produces quite workable technic
plates - in colors otherwise rare or unavailable. The holes come out exactly in
the molded in rings on the standard plates.No functional difference and very
hard to notice visible signs (the interior of the holes is not as smooth as the
molded pieces).

Makes it easy to come up with technic plates in varied sizes and colors.