 Robotics / 22981
RE: Access Ideas was: RE: OT Re: Don't forget to VOTE !!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 03:47:24 GMT

Hi Liz,

First - thank you for clarifying your earlier message.  Luckily, I saw your latest first,
so there were no misunderstandings.

Second - I have to admit that I got a little bored/agitated with the amount of messages
on this list that your original post triggered.  This was my motivation for my posting.

Next - While the results would suggest that democracy works  (all messages that were OT
got delivered, re:earlier posting concerning amount of time needed to review/approve
all of the postings)  I think the lesson learned from this is that this was not the
best place for the voting reminder  (There's a "however" farther down.)

Finally - I've looked into the FIRST Lego League and have hesitated to join as a coach as
the simplicity of the challenges doesn't grab my attention.  I have looked more seriously into
the US FIRST Robotic challenge as this involves building larger robots that are given what
seems to be tougher challenges to win the competition.  (I, also, would like to see an adult division.)
I'd be interested in volunteering, but have a limited budget and current demands on my time
that don't leave a whole lot of free time right now.
What opportunities are available for volunteering - anything that could be done via EMail
and/or web cam?  (Liz, respond to me personally if you have ideas.)

Here's the however -
The signal to noise ratio since Liz's original posting has been way too low.
I don't think that flaming anyone for posting a comment is the most constructive way
for us to collaborate.  Honestly, when I saw Liz's original post, I read it and discarded
it - waiting for the good stuff to continue.
Nor do I believe that "Big Brother" should be looking over all of the posts so that no one
gets offended, or so that we only discuss "acceptable" topics.
Something for the flamers to consider - when you point a finger at someone else, you've got
three others pointing back at you.

This is my last post on this topic as I think it's already overdue to be retired.
I apologixe for the length of this message, and if you feel that the best way we can collaborate
is for you to flame me, my delete key is working fine.

Now - what were those challenge suggestions that the group can use its knowledge to solve?

Dave

-------------- Original message from "Liz Bilbro" <liz@bookwyrmz.com>: --------------
<snip>
BTW, my info re: self-centered in my reply was not actually to Dave, but
</snip>