 Robotics / 22983
22982  |  22984
Subject:
First LEGO League
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:57:01 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, dajelen@att.net wrote:
Finally - I've looked into the FIRST Lego League and have hesitated to join as a coach as
the simplicity of the challenges doesn't grab my attention.  I have looked more seriously into
the US FIRST Robotic challenge as this involves building larger robots that are given what
seems to be tougher challenges to win the competition.  (I, also, would like to see an adult division.)

There has been talk of running the '04 FLL challenge as an event at Brickfest DC
in '05...

I'd be interested in volunteering, but have a limited budget and current demands on my time
that don't leave a whole lot of free time right now.
What opportunities are available for volunteering

Now is a VERY good time to volunteer some time with FLL.  Coming up in November
& December there are tournaments all over.

Here's a good place to find a tournament near you:
http://www.firstlegoleague.org/calendar.aspx?pid=16630

Volunteer to be a ref. or judge.  It should only require one day of your time
(plus training) and it WILL be worth it.

Steve

From the FLL web site: http://www.firstlegoleague.org/

---
The Tournaments
It is not quiet. There is order, but the order is not obvious as hundreds of
children swarm the tournament floor, their energy high. People mill about in
team T-shirts, running in and out of the pit area where table after table is
piled with computers, notes, presentation materials and snack food. Children are
excited, intense, focused. There are team meetings and competitors moving from
tables to the practice field and back, to presentations and judging and back.

Adjustments

- On the spot programming
- Who needs to be where?
- When? Doing what?
- Children in charge.
- Flags, posters.
- So much to see.
- So much passion.

The opening ceremony, the announcements, the challenge, the research
presentations, the robots, the cheering, a few tears, energy, music, dancing.
The press. The mentors. The winners. There are so many winners. There are no
losers. No Way!