 Robotics / 22952
Re: Crazy idea - analog computer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 22:22:16 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Chio Siong Soh wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Eduardo Vazquez Harte wrote:
Hello,

1st I don't want to put this as an alternative to mindstorns but since I don't
have mindstorms and the money for the starter kit I was thinking after seeing
a web of old analog computers, Is it possible to do a programble analog computer
with LEGO with out any electric engines and if I whould need at least one I
whould allow the technic engine kit but not of mindstorns the idea is to do an
analog computer, as I don't know much about engines and about how on earth they
just work old analog computers I whould like if someone could help me on this
idea.

About what for I want it well for now I want to see if is possible to do one
that can be programable and then we see what for I'll use it.

No, it isn't a crazy idea. It's been wonderfully done with Meccano:
http://www.meccano.us/differential_analyzers/robinson_da/index.html

However, it would be a great challenge indeed to come up with one using all
LEGO!

C S Soh

It's also been done with TinkerToys, another construction toy that I loved as a
kid.

http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~cfs/472_html/Intro/TinkertoyComputer/TinkerToy.html

(or do a google search for "tinkertoy computer"...)

JohnG, GMLTC