 Robotics / 22951
22950  |  22952
Subject:
Re[2]: Crazy idea - analog computer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 20:59:04 GMT

Hello Chio,

CSS> In lugnet.robotics, Eduardo Vazquez Harte wrote:
Hello,

1st I don't want to put this as an alternative to mindstorns but since I don't
have mindstorms and the money for the starter kit I was thinking after seeing
a web of old analog computers, Is it possible to do a programble analog computer
with LEGO with out any electric engines and if I whould need at least one I
whould allow the technic engine kit but not of mindstorns the idea is to do an
analog computer, as I don't know much about engines and about how on earth they
just work old analog computers I whould like if someone could help me on this
idea.

About what for I want it well for now I want to see if is possible to do one
that can be programable and then we see what for I'll use it.

CSS> No, it isn't a crazy idea. It's been wonderfully done with Meccano:
CSS> http://www.meccano.us/differential_analyzers/robinson_da/index.html

CSS> However, it would be a great challenge indeed to come up with one using all
CSS> LEGO!

CSS> C S Soh

Are you confusing analogue (in UK English) computers with mechanical difference engines?

An analog (for American readers) computer is the opposite of a digital
time computer in that it is not synchronized to a clock like a digital
computer in which calculations are performed in discrete time with
binary logic states. Rather, the machine calculates continuously in
continuous time with a non discrete voltage level used in calculations. The main building
blocks are based around op-amps in most implementations and allow
various type of integrator, differentiators, gain stages and filter functions to
be realised and used in calculations. They were (and still are in some
cases!!!) used extensively in the control industry for use in
controllers and where a discrete time system might not have the
necessary performance. That's the theory anyway, in practice they are
a bit of a nuisance to get working to your desired performance due to
the component tolerances on the discretes making up the computer.
Still worth a play if you get the chance though.

Some info http://kmt.hku.nl/~hans/contents_pages/computers.htm

--
Best regards,
Allen