 Robotics / 229
Re: Controling LEGO trains via Decta Control Lab
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 16:19:28 GMT

10Hz is nowhere near fast enough to control a train motor using PWM (pulse
width modulation). You need at least 100Hz, and higher would be better.

Any of your suggestions will vary the speed of a motor, but the most common is
varying the duty cycle. Varying the frequency of a fixed width pulse can be
bad as you are likely to pass through some annoying resonant (audible)
frequency of the motor. Varying the voltage of the pulse is ok, but if you can
do that you might as well just send variable DC to the motor like the train
controller does.

I'm not really familiar with the Dacta control lab, but isn't there some
sensible software that'll let you program it in C or something?

Matt