 Robotics / 22855
Re: POC Exploration Robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:17:48 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Mathieu Lalonde <e0nblue@ssl-mail.com> wrote:

I am posting to this list to ask the community about the feasibility of
such a project, before we invest a significant amount of money into
Mindstorms parts:

The robot would consist of two RCX microcontrollers coupled with a
variety of sensors relevant to our project (ie: temperature, atmospheric
pressure, humidity, light, etc) and a Vision Command Unit (or whatever
Lego calls it’s QuickCam rip-off), all mounted on a 4 wheel drive (or
maybe a synchro drive). It would support two modes of operation:
auto-pilot and manual.

Mathieu,

I think this project is defenitely doable. My first bit of advice: don't build a
synchro. This will add a huge amount of complexity to the project. The great
thing about synchros is the navigation accuracy, but the downside is the
rotating wires and sensors. And with Lego, you are really limited by the size
you can build synchros. The more gearing you have to put in the steering, the
sloppier it will be. But, if you insist on building a synchro, you might get
some ideas on my page here:http://sparky.i989.net/rstehlik/firefighter.html

The first RCX’s IR module would be used for communication, and the
second IR module would be used for proximity detection (in combination
with a light sensor).

My advice: get a custom RCX-compatible IR proximity sensor from hitechnic or
mindsensors or technostuff. You will get much better resolution from it. And it
leaces your IR port free for communication, which will be essential.

<>…So, here come my questions: Is the whole thing feasible? What would
you do differently and why? What major problems are we bound to run
into? What are the drawbacks of the choices we made (BrickOS instead of
NQC or Lego’s devel software, using two RCXs, using a proximity
detector, using a 4 wheel drive vs a synchro drive, etc)? <>

Using two RCX's is... interesting. Splitting up the sensors between controllers
is sometimes difficult to do. Because the IR communication is quite slow, you
want to make sure that the motors correspond closely with the sensors for each
brick, but this isn't always possible.

PS: If some people show interest in our project, I will gladly keep you
guys updated with pictures and info as we progress.

I would be interested. And I would be happy to share from my experience as well.

Rob