 Robotics / 22830
Re: Well I went and got it!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:03:10 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jonathan Warrington wrote:

http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/
http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/nqc/

   I'd have to agree - I started in Robolab (LEGO educational software for the
RCX) and while I liked it better than the RIS code, I still moved promptly
(within a month) to NQC (MacNQC, to be exact). There are better development
tools (BrickOS, from what I've seen) but the learning curve (& installation) is
significantly steeper.

As for books...

   I'd strongly recommend "Building Robots with LEGO Mindstorms" by Mario &
Guilio Ferrari & Ralph Hempel. On the hardware side (aimed at an adult) this is
still the best single book I've found, and still one I use repeatedly. It has
some good programming tips, but not related to any given language. The other
thing I'd recommend from a hardware standpoint is one of the First LEGO League
resources from here in the States:

http://www.usfirst.org/jrobtcs/flg_curric.htm

Specificly, the paper by Fred Martin (old but not outdated) and the virtual
textbook from Dean Hystad ("Building LEGO Robots for FIRST LEGO League") are
great. Free, but worth more than many of the books that have been published (as
always, IMO).
   On programming, well... depends somewhat on your chosen enviroment. Dave
Baum's book on programming is a good one, IMO.

   Welcome to an all-consuming passion... now excuse me as I dive back into my
bins of Technic to get ready for a Sumo event <grin>... ("must have more
minifigs!").

--
Brian Davis