 Robotics / 2280
2279  |  2281
Subject:
A/W MAYA and Robotics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 19:36:21 GMT

YES!

The prospect of using 3D transform/rotate data from Maya or any other animation
program for real world robotic control is a great idea.

Using Maya's dynamics module, we could accurately simulate an environment and
then develop "behaviors" for our creations... Maya is the ultimate program to
build expressions, driven keys, and low level MEL commands to really make a
living creature in digital 3D.  Forget setting animation keyframes, just program
your digital bots with MEL and then press the play button to generate motion
from the conditions that you have assigned to skeletons, lattices, and clusters.
The implications of the internal behavior modeling alone is awesome!

Then, developing a standard interface to transfer data from Maya through the
serial, parallel, USB, or MIDI port of the computer will allow us to control our
robotic Legos, BASIC Stamp driven 'bots, PIC chip 'bots, and other
microcontrollers.

I am extremely interested in helping on this "interface" between Maya and a
computer port... Both for input (Motion Capture) and output (Device Control)
reasons.  The BASIC Stamp 2 would be my first choice for communication, but the
Lego RCX would be great too.  If any of you have a Maya ASCII/Binary to serial
data converter, please tell me about it!  I would be interested in helping
program a realtime MEL GUInterface (w/sliders, conditional buttons, etc..) to
take in serial data and send out serial data.

This could potentially turn into a Robot Store product...no guarantees!

Keep in touch all you Maya maniacs!

Jason Cooper - robotman@slip.net
Product Designer / Art Director
Mondo-tronics' Robot Store
http://www.RobotStore.com

For all you Lego people-
Maya is an advanced 3D modeling and animation program for SGI and PC
workstations...MEL is the Maya Embedded Language that allows low level
programming access to all of Maya's commands...you can basically make your own
3D program from MEL.  It's really awesome...and has great robotics applications!