 Robotics / 22682
Re: interfacing PCs with LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:09:42 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "B van Dam" <bvandam@zonnet.nl> wrote:

You can do the same thing, but much less bulky by using a PIC. The 16F877
for example will cost about 8 dollar, and has 33 I/O pins. Each pin can
either be an input, or two of them can control a motor (using a TC4427A).
More info on my website www.vandam.tk in the Micro Controller section.

Well, it's not the same thing -- I'm talking about applications involving
machine vision, for example; a single 640x480 32-bit image is 1200 Kb, which
would exceed the entire RAM of most microcontrollers several times over, even
assuming you could figure out how to connect the camera to it in the first
place.

However, a PIC is certainly a great approach for other kinds of projects, and
your web site looks like a fantastic resource for PIC newbies.  Thanks for
making it available.

Best,
- Joe