 Robotics / 22674
22673  |  22675
Subject:
interfacing PCs with LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:24:03 GMT

Disclaimer: I'm not into LEGO robotics yet, so I am quite likely full of
baloney.  I hope you'll humor me anyway.

Preamble: I'm thinking ahead to when I might get into LEGO robotics, and the
sorts of projects I'd like to do.  I'm a software engineer with a background in
vision and some experience in natural language processing, and I'd like to take
advantage of those.  But those require a "real" computer -- and the beefier, the
better, as they're very processor-intensive.

I'm also thinking of the number of degrees of freedom I might like to have in my
robots (four for the hand, one for the elbow, two for the shoulder... and that's
just one arm!), and dividing this by the number of outputs on the RCX.  Then
multiply by the cost (and bulk) of an RCX... ouch.

Then I notice that you can buy a complete, plug-and-play Linux box at Walmart
for $300, complete with a decent CPU, hard drive, power supply, etc. -- just add
monitor, plug it in, and turn it on.

All this has led me to ask...

My Question: Can anyone point me to resources about interfacing an ordinary PC
with the LEGO inputs and outputs?  Instead of an RCX, I'd like to get the guts
of a cheap PC, stick it in a largish LEGO robot, and have that control
everything (and program this board by plugging in an ethernet cable and simply
SSHing to it).  Is this doable, without going through the RCX?  What sort of
interface hardware would I need?

Thanks,
- Joe