 Robotics / 22551
Re: is it possible to make a motor with a limited range of travel?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:02:34 GMT

Jonathan,
What about putting stops on the rack to limit the travel and use a • clutch
gear to keep the motor from being damaged?  Or what about putting a peg • at
each end of the rack that stick out and hit a touch sensor when the gear
rack is close to the end and program it to stop the motor when the touch
sensor is hit?
Hope this helps,

Thats kinda usefull except that I dont have enough clutch gears, touch
sensors or sensor inputs on my RCX :(

You should only need one touch sensor per rack.  If you only have one motor
per rack, then you should be able to use one sensor per motor (unless you
have other stuff you need the sensor ports for, of course).

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
A            T            A

If you display in a monospaced font, the above should line up OK, otherwise
paste it into something that does have a monospaced font.  The illustration
has the following components:
  M Motor
  R Rack
  A Actuator
  T Touch sensor (or light sensor)

As the motor moves the rack, the actuators press the touch sensor or occlude
the light sensor, which causes the motor to stop *and* switch it's
direction, so that it can only go the other way.  If the touch sensor is
actuated, the motor can only go in the opposite direction it was before it
was actuated, otherwise it can go in either direction.

You could even use a rotation sensor and keep track of how many rotations
have been made, and in which direction, to keep track of where the rack is
in relation to the motor at all times.  Not sure what the resolution is on
the rotation sensor though.